Your brand and target audience will dictate which platform or platforms to post upon. The most popular platforms are..
- Facebook-Tends to be older audience; 72% of men and ladies age 50-64 are on Facebook consistent with AdWeek
- Twitter-38% of Twitter users are men and women age 18-29 according to SproutSocial
- Instagram-72% of Instagram users are age 13-17; 35% of US teens rate Instagram as their favorite platform
- LinkedIn-Professional and networking platform; 51% of LinkedIn users have a minimum of a university degree; 37% of users are age 30-49
- Reposting the same content across multiple platforms allows for network integration, or using all of your social media platforms to promote content, and allows users to interact with the content on their preferred platform.
Defining goals for your social media marketing campaign will help determine which platforms you should focus on. For example, your target audience and demographic could skew older and lead you to focus on Facebook, or you’re targeting the largely female audience on Pinterest.
A consistent presence on a variety of social platforms will also improve your business’s customer service. Be there on the platforms your clients use so customers can reach out with complaints, questions, or concerns.
Social media is also a great way to identify potential customers in demographics similar to your best customers.
An easy way to find out which platforms your target audience use is to ask some of your best customers where they spend their time. Spend time on those platforms engaging with people to see if it makes sense for your business to be there.